Silkies are named for their unique fluffy plumage, which feels like silk. They have several unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot. Calm and friendly and the most docile of poultry, they make an ideal pet. Hens are broody, and make good mothers. Though they are fair layers themselves, they are commonly used to hatch eggs from other breeds.
- Bird Purpose: Ornamental, Eggs, Commonly used to hatch eggs
- Egg Production Rate: Females ONLY; Approximately 100 eggs/year
- Egg Color: Light Brown
- Egg Size: Small
- Bird Characteristics: Among the most docile of breeds, an ideal pet, hardy in winter and bears heat well, does well confined
- Mature Weight: Males 2.5 lbs. Females 2 lbs
- Package Quantity: 10 baby chicks