The subspecies A. m. carnica, from middle Europe, also has been a favored bee stock in the U.S. for several reasons. First, their explosive spring buildup enables this race to grow rapidly in population and take advantage of blooms that occur much earlier in the spring, compared to other stocks. Second, they are extremely docile and can be worked with little smoke and protective clothing. Third, they are much less prone to robbing other colonies of honey, lowering disease transmission among colonies. Finally, they are very good builders of wax combs, which can be used for products ranging from candles, to soaps, to cosmetics.
Because of their rapid buildup, however, Carniolan bees tend to have a high propensity to swarm (their effort to relieve overcrowding) and, therefore, may leave the beekeeper with a very poor honey crop. This stock requires continued vigilance to prevent the loss of swarms.
- Does well in colder temperatures
- Tendency to swarm in early spring
- Less prone to rob other colonies of honey
- Docile on the comb
- Known for sense of direction
- Able to adjust brood building when needed
- High numbers of bees going into Spring
- This package of Carniolan bees will include a cage, hard candy, queen, and 3 pounds of bees ( approximately 10, 000 - 12,000 bees).
- These bees are sourced from Harvest Lane Honey.
- Use these bees in new hives, or replace existing hives with them.
- These are live bees, and are sensitive to the environment. Bees need to be installed within 24 hours of receipt - weather permitting. Bees need to be protected from direct wind, sunlight, heat or extreme cold while in their cage. Packages will have some death of bees due to the life cycle of the bees. 1%-10% is acceptable.
Click Here For Beekeepers Association Information
DISCLAIMER: All payments for queens and bee packages are NON REFUNDABLE once shipped. You may cancel at any point until you receive a shipment confirmation email. These are live insects and must ship next day air for delivery. When purchasing a mail order package you assume FULL responsibility. We offer no guarantee--implied, oral or written for any of package bees or queens. We are NOT responsible for package bees or queens left at the delivery location (customer assumes FULL responsibility). These are live insects and cannot withstand being exposed in their cages in the elements.
Note: Shipment is expected sometime between mid-April and mid-May depending on where your order is in the order queue. Timeline is subject to change dependent upon weather conditions. The quantity of bees is limited. They are only available while supplies last.