Buff Orpingtons are the most popular and most common of all the Orpington varieties with their fluffy golden buff plumage and sweet dispositions. One of the best breeds for newcomers to chickens and families with young children is named for the English town where it was developed. Orpingtons come in several feather colors but all are big, quiet birds with fluffy feathers that keep them toasty warm during frigid weather. Known to be one of the gentlest of breeds, Orpingtons are easy to manage, very friendly, cold hardy birds that tend to be broody, are great setters and make excellent mothers.
- Bird Purpose: Dual Purpose breed, Great as pets, Good egg laying breed, often used to hatch eggs due to broodiness
- Egg Production Rate: Females ONLY; Approximately 220 Eggs/Year
- Egg Color: Brown
- Egg Size: Medium
- Bird Characteristics: Quiet, Docile, Very friendly, Fluffy, Cold hardy, Tend to be broody, Excellent mothers, Bear confinement well
- Mature Weight: Male 8.5 lb. Female 7 lb.
- Package Quantity: 10 baby chicks