Feed sows, boars and piglets a balanced diet of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Tractor Supply Co. carries a wide selection of hog feed and show pig feed. Pig supplements provide animals with extra minerals, vitamins, and other compounds they may require to meet specific needs.
Forms of Swine Feed and Minerals
Pig feed comes in three forms (or combination of the forms):
- Pelleted pig feed has the ingredients milled and formed into pellets.
- Sweet feed is feed in the form of fresh grains plus pellets
- Block feed has the ingredients milled and formed into solid blocks.
Minerals come in two forms:
- Loose minerals can be offered by a separate mineral feeder or added to feed just as people can put salt on food.
- Block minerals are solid blocks that the animals lick.
How Much to Feed a Pig
If you are raising a show pig, you will have a target weight to reach at a particular date. There is no single answer about how much to feed a pig in order to reach the goal. It is crucial that you weigh the pig each week to make sure the pig is on target, and then adjust the amount of food up or down. If you do not have a livestock scale, you can figure out how to measure your pig's body weight by using a simple formula.
When group-feeding pigs, always make sure the feeder is flowing freely and that plenty of fresh water is available.
To find out more about swine feed and supplements, call or visit your local Tractor Supply Co. store and an expert team member will be happy to help.