Liza Magee from Wattsburg, Pennsylvania
This colorful casserole makes a great vegetarian main dish or a hearty side.
Butter or cooking spray for greasing
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ cup green pepper, finely chopped (about ½ a pepper)
6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
½ teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 1-quart casserole dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, toss breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, place carrots and enough water to cover the carrots (roughly 6 to 8 cups). Bring water to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, until carrots are soft and fall apart when poked with a fork.
- While the carrots cook, heat oil in a skillet at medium heat. Add onions and peppers and sauté until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Carefully drain carrots and place them in a large bowl. While carrots are still hot, mash them and mix with remaining butter. Mix in the cooked onions and peppers, half the cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon carrot mixture into prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the top with remaining cheese and prepared buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake casserole for 40 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let cool 20 minutes before serving.
Yields 4 to 6 servings.