Gum Drop Cookies
From Charlotte Huck in Davey, Nebraska
“This is a great recipe for cookie exchanges or Christmas tin gifts,” Charlotte writes.
Butter or cooking spray for greasing
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 cups quick-cook oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
16 red and green gum drop candies, cut up
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
48 additional gum drops (or one per cookie), intact
1. Preheat oven to 375 F and grease 2 cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and both types of sugar.
3. In a separate large bowl, mix oats, flour, coconut flakes, cut up gum drops, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Gradually mix into egg and sugar mixture.
4. Mix ¼ cup hot water into batter.
5. Drop batter by the tablespoon onto cookie sheets. Press one gum drop into the top of each cookie. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until cookies are golden brown.
6. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Repeat with remaining batter.
Yields 3 to 4 dozen cookies.