The web browser you are using is out of date and no longer supported by this site. For the best TractorSupply.com experience, please consider updating your browser to the latest version.
Navigate to Shopping Cart
Cart Item Count
 
  • Left Arrow
    My Account
  • Left Arrow
    My Account
  • Make My Store

    Your nearest store doesn't match your preferred store. Do you want to change the nearest store as your preferred store?

    CONFIRM CLEAR INFO?

    Click "YES" to clear all the customer data, cart contents and start new shopping session.

    Your current shopping session will get automatically reset in seconds.
    If you are still active user then please click "NO"

    Changing your store affects your localized pricing. This includes the price of items you already have in your shopping cart. Are you sure you want to change your store?

    Your nearest store doesn't match your preferred store. Do you want to change the nearest store as your preferred store?


    • To Shop Online
    • To Check In-Store Availability

    click here
    We do not share this information with anyone. For details,please view our Privacy Policy

    Workshop Safety | Winter 2014 Out Here Magazine

    Protect yourself from avoidable accidents

    By Purdue University Extension

    Photography by iStock

    Shop accidents don't just happen; they are caused. Most shop accidents — about 90 percent — are caused by human error, while the remaining 10 percent are the result of unsafe working conditions.

    That's why it's essential that you develop safe working habits, be alert to unsafe working conditions, and take necessary precautions to avoid accidents.

    MINIMIZING HUMAN ERRORS

    • Know how to use shop tools properly.
    • Provide proper instruction and supervision to guests in your shop until they become skilled in the use of the equipment.
    • Take frequent breaks when performing tedious tasks. Fatigue is a main cause of accidents.
    • Don't use power tools when you are emotionally upset; too often the result is damage to equipment or an accident.

    PROTECTING YOURSELF

    • Remove jewelry and loose clothing before starting to work.
    • Wear eye protection when operating hand or power equipment, handling caustics or acids, and using welders.
    • Protect hearing from loud blasts and long-term noises.
    • Protect your respiratory system from fumes resulting from engine exhausts, paints and glues, chemicals, and welding.

    MAINTAINING SAFE WORKING CONDITIONS

    • Clean up all oil spills.
    • Remove objects from traffic areas.
    • Check all movable objects, and make sure equipment is secure when elevated with jack stands and hoists.
    • Use the right tool and the right-sized tool for the job. This is easier when the tool storage area is in the right place and the tools are organized so they can be readily retrieved.
    • Provide adequate lighting over work areas as per the recommendations mentioned earlier.
    • Keep a clean, orderly workspace by returning tools to their proper location and disposing of greasy rags and other waste materials promptly.

    FIRST AID AND FIRE SAFETY PREPAREDNESS

    • Provide a portable kit near the lavatory to apply first aid to minor cuts, abrasions, and burns.
    • Keep an eye-wash bottle (clean, fresh water) near the building entry and/or near where caustic chemicals are used.
    • Place emergency phone numbers near shop and home phones.
    • Place multi-purpose, dry chemical, tri-class A, B, C fire extinguishers in conspicuous and accessible places around the shop, such as near entrance doors and welding areas. This is the only one satisfactory for all common types of shop fires.
    • Never use water on grease or oil fires; water can actually cause such fires to spread.
    • In case of fire, first call the fire department, and then try to put it out.