How to Install a Lawn Sprinkler Pump Start Relay Box
If you want the ability to turn your lawn sprinkler pump on and off, you will need a lawn sprinkler pump start relay box. Having a relay box will also allow you to program your sprinkler for automatic operation during certain times of the day or night.
You will need the following items to install a lawn sprinkler pump start relay box:
- Lawn sprinkler pump
- Start relay box
- Wire strippers
- Wire nuts
Follow these steps to install a lawn sprinkler pump relay box:
Mount the Box
- Turn the power off at the breaker box.
- Find a suitable location you want to mount the relay box. The location of the relay box should be convenient, easy to access, out of direct sunlight, and at least 12 feet away from the sprinkler controller.
- Attach the mounting clips to the back of the relay box using a screwdriver and the screws that came with the relay box.
- Using a screwdriver and a hammer, punch out the correct knockout plugs and attach the relay box to the wall.
Wire the Box
Read the manufacturer's instructions on how to wire your sprinkler pump relay box.
Test the Box
- Put the cover back onto the relay box, tightening the screws enough for a secure closure but being careful not to break the screws.
- Connect one controller wire to the pump terminal and the other wire to the common terminal.
- Turn the power back on at the breaker box.
- Turn on the water. The sprinkler system should now operate according to how you have programmed it.